The STN TOPIC course is taught to all members of the trauma system team who participate in the ongoing assessment, evaluation and improvement of trauma care. The Society of Trauma Nurses has developed the "Trauma Outcomes and Performance Improvement Course" in response to the need for education and better understanding of the Performance Improvement process in trauma care. TOPIC focuses on the ongoing assessment of the continuum of trauma care with a structured review of process and discussions of strategies to monitor trauma patient outcomes.
The TOPIC course is taught in a one day interactive Modular Format, customized to best meet the needs of the individual trauma care provider participants who have varying levels of experience with trauma performance improvement. The course offers practical application for all Levels of trauma centers, from entry level to mature phase of program development. The Modules are taught with a focus on didactic, operational definitions, sample tools, case study examples and take home points.
TOPIC is offered by the Society of Trauma Nurses several times a year in various rotating locations. If you, your institution or professional organization are interested in having the STN provide this course, in conjunction with your next conference or symposium or as a stand alone course, please contact STN Headquarters.
Upcoming Courses and Program Information
August 23, 2013 - Kettering, OH at Kettering Medical Center
Click here to register
- Review the online event calendar for a list of TOPIC courses by date, or select a TOPIC course by state.
- TOPIC sample agenda
- TOPIC program Flier
- TOPIC Instructor Guidelines
- TOPIC Instructor Course Registration for Current & Expired Faculty
- NEW TOPIC Instructor Application
- T.O.P.I.C Course Introduction
- Trauma Performance Improvement Structure
- Indicators and Audit Filters
- Process: Levels of PI Review
- PI Issue Identification
- Trauma PI Team Roles
- Data Management for Performance Improvement - Trauma Registry/Trauma PI Database
- PI Forums/Committee Structure
- Peer Review Judgment Determination
- Action Plan Development/Implementation
- PI Documentation/Confidentiality
- PI Data Analysis and Presentation
- Clinical Management Guidelines
- Completing PI Loop Closure
- Hospital/Institutional/System Links to Trauma PI